Why do we use water bottles?
The medical profession has been telling us for many years that children do not drink enough water during the school day – and that the resulting dehydration contributes to a number of short and long-term health problems.
The links between water, dehydration, health and learning
How does drinking water link to health?
- Drinking adequate amounts of water regularly throughout the day can protect health and contribute to well-being.
- Drinking adequate amounts of water can help prevent a range of short and long-term health problems from headaches, bladder, kidney and bowel problems to cancer.
- Water has none of the health problems associated with drinks containing sugar, additives, sweeteners, acids or caffeine.
- To help keep teeth healthy, as well as brushing teeth regularly and visiting the dentist, we should cut down on added sugars. These are the sugars found in fizzy drinks, juice drinks, sweets, cakes and jam. It’s best to stick to having these kinds of foods and drinks at mealtimes.It’s also important to avoid sipping sugary drinks or sucking sweets too often. This is because the longer the sugar touches your teeth, the more damage it can do.
How does drinking water improve learning?
- The key to boosting the capacity to learn is to keep well hydrated throughout the day.
- When we are thirsty, mental performance deteriorates by 10%
- Pupils concentrate better because they are not distracted by the effects of dehydration such as thirst, tiredness and irritability
- Can aid behaviour management by helping to settle pupils in the classroom.
- Children will achieve more when both their health and learning needs are met. Ensuring access to water and promoting a regular water intake throughout the school day is a vital role for schools in promoting health and providing a healthy learning environment.
- Access to water bottles is at certain times to avoid disrupting learning.
- Water bottles are placed on the side in classrooms - please make sure to LABEL your child's water bottle
- ONLY WATER IS ALLOWED IN WATER BOTTLES - STAFF WILL EMPTY BOTTLES AND REFILL THEM WITH WATER.
Thank you for taking time to read this information.